An actor-centered and design-driven exploration for the development of a blue-green network
The study is entitled "An actor-oriented and design-driven exploration for the development of a blue-green network in Paramaribo North". Noord is a city district of Paramaribo suffering from flooding and mobility issues. A blue-green network, designed as a continuous network of green connections and waterways throughout the city, could bring relief, as it contributes to more sustainable water management and climate control, whilst increasing biodiversity. If linked to a sustainable mobility policy a blue-green network can also become the carrier of a bike network and an attractive network public space around which new housing and facilities can be developed. Community building can also be stimulated.
During this master's thesis, the three team members studied individually three themes whose knowledge is necessary for the introduction of a blue-green network in Paramaribo North: knowledge (1) about the existing water management, (2) about the existing transportation and mobility network and (3) about concepts for the sustainable renewal of these systems. But also knowledge about how spatial change is currently being organized by the by the Surinamese government and concepts for the approach of a more more integrated urban renewal.
This seven-part master's thesis research includes, in addition to research on these three themes, also includes three individually conducted design explorations in three exemplary subareas of Paramaribo-North. Herein the knowledge from the three thematic studies is applied in an integrated way.
In addition, an action plan was also drawn up in group for an urban tactics: Let's Roll @ North tactical urbanism stimulates cycling in the short term in the research area.
The series consists out of 7 booklets:
- Concepts for a renewed water management in Paramaribo North (Helena Neyt)
- Concepts for a sustainable mobility development in Paramaribo North (Anke Peleman)
- Actor-centered development strategies for a blue-green network in Paramaribo North (Romanie Paeps)
- Design exploration for a blue-green network in experimental area Morgenstond (Helena Neyt)
- Design exploration for a blue-green network in living lab Tourtonne and Ma Retreat (Anke Peleman)
- Design exploration for a blue-green network in Geyersvlijt experimental garden (Romanie Paeps)
- Action plan for the tactical urbanism 'Let's Roll @ North' (Helena Neyt, Romanie Paeps and Anke Peleman)